Certified free elective focus
INTER-AMERICAN CULTURAL STUDIES
A certified focus as part of the free elective courses within the study fields
of humanities and social sciences at the University of Graz
(1) The certified focus “Inter-American Cultural Studies” is aimed at students enrolled in all
fields of study within the humanities or social sciences at the University of Graz as an
additional qualification in the form of a free elective focus.
(2) The relevance of Inter-American Studies as a subject area becomes particularly relevant in
the context of current developments on a global level such as transnational migration. These
developments determine the construction and transformation of cultural identities and
question common conceptualizations of the “self” and the “other”. Also, in a European
context, the reference points are shifted in the course of the negotiation of a “European
identity” (in addition to national and regional identities), which means that academic
perspectives have to be recast as well. Therefore, for European students in the field of Inter-
American Studies, the “Americanness” of the Americas and changing conceptions of the
“self” and the “other” are of great interest, as they might encourage the reconsideration of
The certified free elective subject “Inter-American Cultural Studies” offers an overview of
relevant topics of this new research area and aims at strengthening the reflective skills of
II. Learning objectives
• Consolidation of general knowledge about the continent America
• Consolidation of analytical skills with regard to cultural representations of the Americas
• Strengthening reflective skills
• Insight into basic questions about transatlantic relations
III. Structure of the free elective focus
(1) The free elective focus consists exclusively of compulsory subjects and comprises a total of 20 ECTS credits.
IV. Teaching and learning methods
• Lecture supported by multimedia
• Discussions of reading tasks
• Working in small groups
• Online support for students
• Implementation of projects during class
(1) Students who complete this specialization as part of the free elective courses will receive a total of 20 ECTS credits and a certificate of academic success.
(2) The certificates are issued by the responsible head of the free elective focus.
VI. Participation requirements
This focus is open to all students of social, humanities, environmental, regional, educational sciences and Catholic-theological faculties and to students of all subjects within the teaching program as well as the humanities and social science interdisciplinary studies such as gender studies.
VII. Frequency of the offer
The courses in the main focus can, if necessary, be completed over the course of two academic years.
VIII. Management and Organization
(1) The content-related coordination of the free elective focus is carried out by the management of the Center for Inter-American Studies at the University of Graz.
(2) Management and organization of the free elective focus is taken over by the management of the Center for Inter-American Studies of the University of Graz.
(3) The allocation of courses that are not offered by the Center for Inter-American Studies itself takes place in coordination with the responsible CUKOS.
(4) The courses that can be completed are published on the homepage of the certified focus area before the beginning of the academic year.
ContactCenter for Inter-American Studies