The international summer school, "Broadcasting the Americas: Academic Reflections and Media Practice on Politics and Culture", is a joint project of eight European institutions of higher education. It is based on an innovative articulation of media practice and academic discussion. Grounded in the educational philosophy of a problem-based learning approach, students are introduced to academic reflections of current conflicts and are asked to formulate their own opinions in intercultural teams. In a second step, students themselves will act as transmitters of knowledge as they develop a radio-feature during the project based part of the summer school. As an additional bonus, their newly acquired practical media skills will be documented in the "radio passport".
Language of Instruction: English
1. Ethnicity & Identities
2. Caribbean History & Literature
3. Social Movements & Human Rights
4. Borderland Studies
Target Group: internationally interested and highly motivated students enrolled at the University of Graz; various fields of study
As a partner in this ERASMUS Intensive Program summer school, the Center for Inter-American Studies at the University of Graz, offers 5 full scholarships for the participation in the program.
The scholarships include travel costs, room & board, excursion, social program, as well as, course costs. Scholarships are awarded based on academic excellence.
How to apply?
In order to apply for the scholarship, students have to submit the application form and supporting documents to Heidrun Mörtl by February 25, 2014. Please note that only once awarded, students will have to complete the registration on the summer school website.
Supporting Documents (details in application form):
- Copies of diplomas and/or transcript of records from the University of Graz
- Proof of enrolment at the University of Graz (Studienbestätigung SS2014 and Auszug des Studienblattes)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- A short essay (about one page, written by yourself) on your motivation to attend the summer school and why the topic of the lectures and the seminar module is of interest to you. Please also write, why you want to attend the seminar module of your choice.
- Two different letters of recommendation, which have to be written AND signed by your university teachers (You have to send the original of these letters! No copies and no letters via email!)
Contact at the University of Graz
Mag. Heidrun Moertl
Scientist.Center for Inter-American Studies.University of Graz.
Merangasse 18/II. 8010 Graz. Austria.
Phone: +43 (0) 316 380 8202
Fax: +43 (0) 316 380 9767